Follow me as I meditate on the word of God.
Share how God's word has changed your life.

6/9/13

WHERE ARE WE GOING? – (1)



I am the way …. John 14:6

“You know the way to the place where I am going” John 14:4



Jesus said: “I am the way.”

But where are we going?

Watch  Going As Fast As Possible!  for an interesting view of our modern how-and-where movements.  And that is just in Singapore!  I could post time-lapse movement videos from New York, Tokyo, Jakarta … you name it.  We are all pretty much moving as fast as we can … but where?

The first step in planning the way is knowing the where; we plan the route after we set the destination.   In daily life we think we know.  Going to London, take a plane.  Going downtown, take a car or bus.  Then you can get on MapQuest, plot coordinates into your GPS, or just ask Siri.  With modern technology, it’s easy to find the way.

Jesus told his friends at dinner one night, “You know the way to the place where I am going.”  Thomas, confused, said “We don’t even know where you’re going!”

What was Thomas’s problem?  He wasn’t listening.  Jesus had just said, “My Father’s house has many rooms; …  I am going there to prepare a place for you.” 

Not that I blame Thomas – at the time Jesus was saying a lot of strange things about leaving, and he was giving speeches like it was his last meal or something.  Rather disturbing.  Who would understand that Jesus could know he was about to go into heaven and be with God the Father? 

But that’s exactly what Jesus meant.
“I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me.”
Translation: I am the way to God.  The only way to God.  You have access to him and know him because you know me.

So, now do you know where Jesus was going that night?  He was going to heaven to be with the Father.  If you want to go too, you know the WAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment