Follow me as I meditate on the word of God.
Share how God's word has changed your life.

7/15/13

John 10 -- I Am the Good Shepherd (3)



“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”  John 10:11


In John chapter 9, a man with congenital blindness suddenly had perfect vision.  Jesus healed him. But instead of rejoicing over the power of God, the religious leaders got their noses out of joint.  Why?

Jesus was striking the heart of the problem when he stated: “I am the good shepherd,” and then added shockingly: “The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”

The difference between good leadership and bad leadership is motivation.  Jesus was testifying that his own motivation was pure, unmixed love for his followers. 

I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

And the Pharisees’ motivation? 

All who have come before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep have not listened to them  … The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy;

The hired hand  … when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away…. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.

The showdown had finally come.  Jesus knew that even at that moment the Pharisees wanted to kill him.  Would good leadership or bad leadership win out?
What is the ultimate test of a true leader?  To be willing to take a bullet.

Jesus was already putting himself in harm’s way because he had very important things to say to those he loved: 

My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.

But to the Pharisees he said:  “ … you are not my sheep.”

Heroism is the same then as now.  The firefighter rushes into the burning building. The policeman falls in the line of duty.  The soldier lays on a hand grenade to save his platoon.

It would be only a few more days until Jesus’ own prophecy would come true:

“The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”

No comments:

Post a Comment