Follow me as I meditate on the word of God.
Share how God's word has changed your life.

2/26/14

What about Self?




Continued from “Why Prayer is Lost”

          The more the idea (for an orphanage) remained with George Muller, the more it grew upon him.  He prayed over it.  And he prayed much.

          And this thought seized him: “Suppose you succeed.  It will give you a great name.  George Muller will be known the world over, and your name will become a household word wherever this institution is known.  How about this?  Is there no Muller in this?  Is there no personal and sinful ambition in view?  Is God, alone, in your thought?”

          Certain things he could well but know.  What he was planning was great.  To succeed in it he knew he must be known.  Was there no self in all this?  Did he really want it with a right motive?

          Mr. Muller said: “I lay on my face before God by the hour, asking Him to search my heart, and I got an evidence from God Himself that my motive was a pure one—that I was acting for His glory and in the interests of His kingdom alone.”

          We may and should take God into all business.  The promises of God relate to temporal affairs and material, as well as to matters that are spiritual.  God, evidently, would be pleased to have His people get ahead in their business affairs.  But few do; more might.  Job was rich, so was Abraham, and not a few more of whom the Scriptures make mention prospered in matters that pertain to this world.

          This at once suggests that God be taken into partnership—that He be given a place in the business.  People say, “Oh, I asked God to aid me in my affairs and give me prosperity, but did not seem to get on much.”  Well, was God made a convenience?  Was He appealed to that one might be furthered in one’s own selfish enterprises?  God is no play thing, neither is He to be used  at the whims of men; but he answers prayer and helps all who go to Him as they should.  To let God direct as to what the vocation shall be, how it shall be followed, give Him a share in the profits, and situations in the world of business even among good people would be quite unlike what they now are.


--by Rev. Charles J Fowler, 1912
 

No comments:

Post a Comment