Follow me as I meditate on the word of God.
Share how God's word has changed your life.

5/19/13

"Friended" by Jesus! - (1)


Part I  (John 15:1-15)

“I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business.  Instead, I have called you friends, for everything I have learned from my Father I have made known to you. –John 15:15

Jesus spoke to the people in figurative language.  Figurative language is a way of communicating a new truth by comparing it to a truth already well-known to the audience.  It is a device used by poets down through the ages, and taught by English teachers in every literature class.  We also use it in our everyday communication.  For instance, if I tell you that a new food you are about to taste is “as sour as a lemon,” I am helping you understand the new food by comparing it to a lemon which you have already experienced.  I could also say, “Think lemons!” and that is the same kind of comparison, only more strongly put.


In John 15, Jesus is giving his friends a lot of help to understand what their future lives without Him should look like, by comparing it to something they already know – horticulture.  They lived in a largely agrarian society and almost everyone had grown, pruned, harvested and burned VINES.  You may not have had this experience of vines, and that is the only reason that some explanation is required.

Jesus told his friends in verse 1: “I am the true VINE.”  Strongly put comparison. Well, if Jesus is a vine, then the other parts of the comparison fall naturally into place:

Who is the gardener?
God the Father
What are the branches?
His followers
What fruit is produced?
[not stated] More disciples
Who are the disconnected branches
Those who stopped being “connected”
How did they get disconnected?
Did not remain in Him/remain in His love
How did they get disconnected?
Did not obey his commands
What is His command?
“Love each other as I have loved you.”
Who removes the disconnected branches?
God the Father
What happens to the disconnected branches?
Cast aside/ destroyed
What happens to the fruitful branches?
Pruned by the Word [not explained]
What happens to the fruitful branches?
Reproduce themselves
What happens to the fruitful branches?
Full of joy




Now why do you think, after this complicated comparison of the vine, that He said”:

 “You are my friends”?  Leave your comments below!

2 comments:

  1. It's so crazy that you chose this verse to start with. I was JUST talking with my sister the other day about some life decisions she has coming up and reminded her of this verse. I think we can apply it a million ways. In this instance, I was encouraging her that when God asks her to step out in faith and do something, he gives us wisdom in the how and why as well. Because although we are totally subject to his authority, he gladly shares knowlege with us as his friends, all we have to do is ask! To get to be connected in thought with the GOD OF THE UNIVERSE is mind blowing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many people think they would like to know more -- like to know the future when they have to make a decision. But as you said, we are "connected in thought with the God of the universe"! Most people I know don't seem very confident that they know God's mind. And a lot of people in the world don't think you CAN know God's mind. You're right -- mind blowing!

      Delete