Follow me as I meditate on the word of God.
Share how God's word has changed your life.

5/20/13

Friended by Jesus - (3)


Part 3  (John 15:1-15)


“I am the vine, you are the branches.”  What a comforting analogy.  I am connected.  I am alive.

Even so, it is more than a little frightening to know that you can CHOOSE to depart from the true vine and therefore end up destroying yourself.  Is it hard to stay, or easy to go?  How will you know whether you are really connected?



Now comes one of the most powerful parts of Jesus’ comparison to the vine: 

 The simple test of whether a branch is connected or disconnected is --- FRUIT. 

By fruit every gardener knows that the plant has reproduced itself, as Genesis1:12 says: “…trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds.”  The test of “fruit” means: Does the follower of Christ reproduce that which he has become through Christ -- a new believer?

Furthermore, the simple way of remaining connected is this: “OBEY my commands.”  Having a free will gives us the ability to choose continued connection with Him, and the way of choosing to connect is choosing to obey.

Choosing to remain in LOVE simply by acts of obedience would be a no-brainer except for two unfortunate things:

One, our stubborn, fallen will responds : “I hate to obey!”
And two, our mind complicates things by asking: “Obey what?”

No problem.  Jesus simply states:
“My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.”
How simple. Even a child could understand it.  And who would want to do anything else?

So how did his followers/servants get promoted to “friend” status?  ---Because He has just let them in on THE inside secret---the key to living, if you will. 

My entire plan for your future life on earth is that you remain in my love by loving each other as I have loved you.  You will end up fruitful and joyful, and my Father will be glorified.

Jesus “friended” me first.  And I am choosing to remain his friend.

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment