Follow me as I meditate on the word of God.
Share how God's word has changed your life.

5/28/13

NO LONGER BLIND! – (1)

"I am the Light of the world." John 8:12
 
I am sitting in the dark as I type this.  Why did Jesus compare himself to “light”?  I am a sighted person and so it is hard for me to imagine not having light as a constant function in my life.  And, living in the 21st century – don’t you find that you can’t even get away from light when you want to?  With my lights off, at 10 o’clock at night, I can still see everything in my house because of LEDs on the TV, computer, stove, clock, etc. 
Sitting in the dark does make me think, though.  I can’t see anything very well.  I can’t see colors.  If I forget where I had put something, as I walk around I’ll get some bumps and bruises.  I will restrict myself to this known landscape of my house.  I’ll be more afraid.  I’ll be more vulnerable.  If something or someone were about to attack me, I wouldn’t know it.


Little children often fear the dark.  There might be monsters in the unknown.  But grown-ups can fear it, too.  There are some scary movies being made recently about whole-scale blackouts – about whole cities being off the grid.  Why do we fear darkness? 

If physical darkness is scary, how much more terrifying is spiritual darkness.  And what is spiritual darkness.  It is having absolutely no idea of what is going on in the spiritual world.  Some of you may say, “What spiritual world?” because you don’t believe there is one.  May I propose to you that THAT is spiritual darkness.  There is a spiritual world, which contains both good and evil, and it doesn’t cease to exist when someone doesn’t see it.  Not being able to see is called blindness.

So, when Jesus said “I am the light,” he was telling us that he cures our spiritual blindness.  He gives us the ability to see what we otherwise are unaware of.  If we can SEE into the spiritual realm, we aren’t vulnerable, afraid, and tripping all over everything.  If there is an enemy, we can fight.  Being spiritually in the light is very powerful.

Here are just some of the quotes from Jesus telling us he is our LIGHT:

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said: I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life … While I am in the world, I am the light of the world … Are there not twelve hours of daylight? Anyone who walks in the daytime will not stumble, for they see by this world’s light … It is when a person walks at night that they stumble, for they have no light … You are going to have the light just a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, before darkness overtakes you. Whoever walks in the dark does not know where they are going …Believe in the light while you have the light, so that you may become children of light ... I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness.
[John 8:12, 9:5, 11:9-10, 12:35-36, 12:46]


Just one parting thought:  It is wise to STAY CLOSE to  the LIGHT -- if you want to see where you’re going!

No comments:

Post a Comment